Intel and TIME Magazine unveiled the June cover of its all-drone issue – an image created entirely by 958 Intel Shooting Star drones forming the iconic TIME logo. This marks the first cover in TIME’s 95-year history that was captured via a drone camera.
At first glance, readers might assume the June cover is a doctored image, but in reality, 958 Intel drones spanning
approximately 100 meters tall created the TIME logo and magazine boarder in the nighttime sky.
Highlights of this historic cover include:
- 958 Intel Shooting Star Drones took flight in Folsom, CA, lighting up the nighttime sky with a custom drone-powered light show that formed the TIME logo and magazine boarder
- This is the first cover in TIME’s 95-year history that was shot via a drone camera (an Astraeus Aerial drone)
- The team had a flight ceiling of 400 feet to safely operate within, and an animation measuring 328 feet (100 meters)
- Since the animation was so tightly formed to create this advanced illustration for editorial use, there was no room for error
- Avoiding collisions while in-flight, gusts of wind and other elements were a concern for the light show team
This is also the first TIME cover to feature an image made by a drone. It was captured by a specialized drone used for commercial and film cinematography that recorded the light show from start to finish.
Click to read the TIME Special Report: The Drone Era
Sources: Intel Press Release; Time Magazine
UAV DACH: Beitrag im Original auf https://www.uasvision.com/2018/06/01/time-cover-powered-by-958-intel-drones/, mit freundlicher Genehmigung von UAS Vision automatisch importiert, Der Beitrag gibt nicht unbedingt die Meinung oder Position des UAV DACH e.V. wieder. Das Original ist in englischer Sprache.